Head of Crowd Safety and Security
- Role location
- Wembley Stadium
- Type of contract
- Full Time
Head of Crowd Safety and Security
Based at Wembley Stadium
Closing date: midnight, Monday 1st May 2017
The Football Association (The FA) is the governing body of football in England and has the responsibility to promote and develop the game at all levels from grass roots through to the professional game, The FA Cup and the England International team.
Wembley Stadium is a 90,000 capacity multi-purpose venue that hosts events such as England Senior Men’s internationals, The FA Cup Final, NFL International Series, Rugby League Challenge cup Final and large scale concerts plus many more events.
Overview of the role:
To lead in the development and implementation of Wembley Stadium’s Security & Crowd Safety strategy. Through strong leadership and relationships with key partners, the role holder will deliver the highest possible standards in safety planning and an exceptional event experience for Event Owners, Club Wembley members and fans.
Key responsibilities include:
- To act as the lead Safety Officer for Events at Wembley
- To lead and manage the crowd safety and security team to ensure all events are planned and delivered to exceptional safety and security standards while maximising the customer experience.
- To lead the training and on-going development of crowd safety personnel
- To develop the strategy and lead the operational delivery for public order and safety planning for all events at Wembley, aligning the practices and processes of the stadium crowd safety, fire and medical teams to those of the external emergency service providers and co-ordinated with all other FA Group business strategies, including, but not limited to, the stadium crisis management and business recovery policies
- To develop exceptional relationships with the local authority, SGSA and stadium emergency service providers, particularly the Metropolitan Police Service, working in partnership, and with trust, to deliver continuous improvement of stadium operations for all events and deliver mutual benefits and efficiencies across all agencies
- To lead discussions with key stakeholders regarding the stadium external footprint, understanding the impact of the developing site surrounding the stadium, identifying key issues and developing and implementing associated strategies
- To lead, manage and develop the internal and external stadium operations teams, developing and designing strategic and tactical plans for stadium event days, delivering ongoing improvement training programmes related to live event day scenarios, and supporting effective and ongoing cross learning to create a multi-skilled function
- To support the Events team in the development of a venue strategy which creates and delivers an event operation specific to each event type at the stadium i.e. International Football, Club Football, Music, NFL, to demonstrate a proactive approach with continuous improvement and efficiency for the benefit of the Event Owners and the fans
- To be responsible for the financial performance and delivery of the department budget, providing accurate budgets and forecasts for the 4-year business plan, managing delivery and performance against agreed annual budgets, identifying opportunities for costs efficiencies or revenue increases, delivering accurate and timely sales reports and post event reconciliations for each stadium event
- To work with the General Manager to review the stadium community engagement programme (WSRAC), liaise with and attend various forums, meetings and groups as required. As well as provide strategic advice/guidance to the Group, particularly The FA’s obligations and requirements regarding investigations into all facets of discrimination
- To project manage and lead the delivery of security related strategy and operations for major bid events as required.
The successful candidate will have:
- Leadership experience of large, diverse teams
- Proven delivery experience in a complex venue and event operations
- Strong financial and budget management
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Knowledge of event safety legislation – Green Guide, Safety in Sports Grounds Act
- Experience in crisis management / communications
- Experience in the retail and leisure sector including food & beverage operations
- Major sporting event delivery experience
The Football Association promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your covering letter