Legal Counsel - Commercial FTC 9-12 months Ref: LC18
- Role location
- Wembley Stadium
- Type of contract
- Contract / Freelance
Legal Counsel – Commercial
FTC 9-12 Months starting in March/April 2018
Closing date: Monday 22nd January 2018
The FA is the governing body for football in England. We are responsible for overseeing, promoting and developing English football at all levels, from grassroots through to the professional game. This includes operating 24 England teams, the Emirates FA Cup, the Women’s Super League (WSL) and our two world-class venues, Wembley Stadium and St George’s Park. The FA is a not-for-profit organisation that is committed to increasing participation in football and ensuring that football is a game that everyone can enjoy.
Overview of the role:
To provide proactive legal support to The FA across a full range of commercial legal issues.
Key responsibilities include:
- Delivering practical legal advice across a full range of The FA’s commercial legal requirements.
- Drafting and negotiating key commercial contracts for The FA’s business, including key sponsorship and media rights agreements
- Drafting and negotiating a range of other commercial contracts in all areas of The FA’s business, including product licensing, representation agreements, funding agreements, event staging and venue hire (including concerts and other events at Wembley), IT contracts, competition terms and conditions and supply/services agreements
- General commercial legal work including providing advice on intellectual property issues, brand protection, finance arrangements, employment and data protection
- Ensuring that any regulatory or litigation issues are considered in the context of commercial work
- Providing focused instructions to external law firms when appropriate to do so.
What we are looking for:
- Solid academic background and robust legal training
- At least 3 years working as a qualified solicitor however candidates with relevant skills sets regardless of post qualification experience may have the required technical skills
- Must be able to demonstrate a breadth of commercial legal knowledge gathered in a major law firm and/ or corporate organisation
- Ability to demonstrate clear, concise and practical written and oral legal advice, which includes drafting, negotiating and interpreting a range of contracts and ancillary documents (e.g. tenders)
- Able to cope with pressurised situations and tight timeframes whilst maintaining a professional approach.
- Previous in-house experience (for example, a secondment)
- Previous experience of sports law.
- Experience of drafting and negotiating media rights agreements
- Experience of drafting and negotiating sponsorship agreements.
- Experience of intellectual property law.
What we can offer:
- An exciting and challenging role within a changing, dynamic and world-renowned sports organisation.
- Being part of a highly experienced and dedicated legal team
- Attractive benefits and a competitive salary.
- Part time/flexible working open to discussion.
The Football Association Group promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your covering letter.
What We Do
The FA Group doesn't just govern and develop the game. We are also committed to improving our reputation for innovation and excellence by using the power of football to build a better future.What We Do
Search for a vacancy at The FA Group.Search for a Vacancy