Senior Independent Non-Executive Director Ref: SID18
- Role location
- Wembley Stadium
- Type of contract
- Contract / Freelance
The FA – Senior Independent Non-Executive Director
The Football Association (The FA) is the governing body for football in England. It is responsible for leading and serving the game at all levels, from grassroots through to the professional game and England teams.
The FA is a commercial organisation, generating annual income in excess of £300m primarily through media rights, sponsorship, merchandising and ticketing. This delivers significant profits which are reinvested back into the game to support participation; raise the number and standard of coaches; improve local facilities; regulate and support the running of the game at every level; organise inspiring competitions such as the FA Cup and operate the iconic venues Wembley Stadium and St. George’s Park. All with a purpose to Unite the Game, Inspire the Nation.
The FA is For All and football in England is changing. In May 2017, The FA’s shareholders ratified a number of corporate governance reforms which ensure compliance with Sport England’s Code for Sports Governance.
The role of the Senior Independent Non-Executive Director:
- In conjunction with the FA Board and Executive team, develop and execute the vision for the organisation;
- Provide independent and expert advice to support both the Board and Executive team in optimising performance;
- Ensure that The FA promotes best practice corporate governance and provide challenge and feedback where necessary;
- Act as an ambassador for The FA, both at home and abroad, forging constructive relationships at all levels across the game;
- Promote the long-term interests of English football and The FA across a diverse range of activities
- Be available to the various football stakeholders if they have concerns which are unable to be addressed through the normal channels of Chair, Chief Executive Officer or relevant Vice-Chairman.
- As a trusted intermediary for the Board, act as a sounding board for the Chair and Chief Executive Officer on Board related matters.
- Be a member of the Nomination Committee and chair the Committee when it is considering succession to the role of Chair. Also meet with the non-executive directors at least once a year to appraise the Chair’s performance; and
- Commit to up to 20 days per annum to attend FA Board and FA Council meetings and sit on at least one Board sub-committee.
Key selection criteria:
- An exceptional, proven business leader, with significant experience as an Executive and Non-Executive on a Board;
- The intellect and natural curiosity to contribute widely to discussion, drawing on experience that will be credible to a variety of stakeholders;
- A progressive thinker who can use their skill and experience to foster a culture that respects diversity and is inclusive;
- Well-developed stakeholder management skills combined with the determination and resilience to get the job done;
- Keen and willing to travel to attend fixtures and events, in addition to attending Board meetings.
- A passion and interest in sport and the vital contribution it makes to society at large.
Applications for the role of Senior Independent Non-Executive Director at The FA will be managed externally by Spencer Stuart. To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com by midnight on 9th February 2018.
What We Do
The FA Group doesn't just govern and develop the game. We are also committed to improving our reputation for innovation and excellence by using the power of football to build a better future.What We Do
Search for a vacancy at The FA Group.Search for a Vacancy