Senior Communications Manager - England Ref: SCME
- Role location
- St George's Park
- Type of contract
- Full Time
Senior Communications Manager - England
Based at St George’s Park (with regularly travel to Wembley)
Closing date: midnight 5th March 2018
Here at The FA we are responsible for overseeing, promoting and developing English football at all levels, from grassroots through to the professional game. We have big ambitions. Some of our objectives include ensuring that The Emirates FA Cup remains the world’s premier cup competition, that Wembley Stadium and St. George’s Park continue to be world-class venues, and that success is achieved with each of our national sides.
The shared values, vision and pride of our people is central to our success. We are growing a team of highly skilled, passionate and hardworking individuals who are committed to the future of English football. We understand that diversity promotes innovation, and therefore we look for people who are great at what they do, no matter their background.
Overview of the role:
This exciting new role is responsible for the creation, management and oversight of proactive media strategies working as part of the England communications team.
In particular, this role will be positioned across the England Women’s team in the lead-up to the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup and beyond. The successful candidate will also be expected to support other areas across England and FA communications as and when required.
The role requires travel to fixtures and major tournaments and requires high levels of engagement with the media and other relevant stakeholders.
Key responsibilities include:
- Creating positive England communications strategies for key FA high profile personnel including the England Women Head Coach and Director of Women’s Football.
- Working as part of the wider England Communications team, acting as a team spokesperson, providing media briefings (written and verbal) and chairing Head Coach and player media activity.
- Deliver and manage official Head Coach and player media and commercial activity with squad members - interacting with management, journalists, clubs, agents, commercial partners as well as internal partners in the Commercial and Marketing and Governance teams.
- Reactive news management, utilising strong crisis communications skills and experience.
- England player personal appearance media activity throughout the year in conjunction with The FA commercial division and player’s agents.
- Respond to and manage interview and appearance requests for England squad/Head Coaches all year round, and manage the public profile of backroom staff
- Devise and deliver creative opportunities for senior players to connect with fans e.g. charity activity, Armed Forces links etc.
- Responsible for squad announcements and updates – smooth, professional communication across all media platforms.
- Provide editorial support and contributions for TheFA.com and create website and programme promotion opportunities for England teams as required and help manage editorial output for FATV.
- Maintain and develop key relationships with media and editorial contacts, St. George’s Park stakeholders and event owners on an ongoing basis. Close liaison with key external stakeholders when communicating messages in particularly sensitive areas: Clubs, Leagues, UEFA, FIFA, agents etc.
Key skills and experience required include:
- Strong experience of a professional team environment
- Proven ability in a senior spokesperson role
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of football and its structures at all levels across both the women’s and men’s game
- Excellent media contacts book
- Proven experience of dealing with national and international media in complex and fast-paced environments
- Experience of co-ordinating and managing PR campaigns and managing media conferences
- An excellent manager of people and teams
- Experience of managing senior executives and talent (i.e. team managers, coaches, players etc.)
- Flexible approach to working hours
What we can offer:
- An exciting and challenging role within a changing, dynamic and world-renowned sports organisation.
- Attractive benefits and a competitive salary for the right candidate.
The Football Association Group promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your covering letter
What We Do
The FA Group doesn't just govern and develop the game. We are also committed to improving our reputation for innovation and excellence by using the power of football to build a better future.What We Do
Search for a vacancy at The FA Group.Search for a Vacancy