Player Insights Lead (Youth Development Phase) Ref: PIL-18
- Role location
- St George's Park
- Type of contract
- Full Time
Player Insights Lead (Youth Development Phase)
Based at St George’s Park, Burton upon Trent
Closing Date: Midnight 25th June 2018
The Football Association (The FA) is the governing body of football in England. We are responsible for promoting and developing the game at all levels; from grass roots through to the professional game, The FA Cup and the England International teams, and has two core assets: Wembley Stadium and St George’s Park.
Win the World Cup’s in 2022 & 2023 and sustain success thereafter.
To deliver against this inspiring goal we are changing how we work and investing heavily to create a team of exceptional people capable of creating winning England teams at our world-class training facilities at St George’s Park in Staffordshire.
Overview of the role:
To be the key source of all information on players in the youth development phase through the development and maintenance of comprehensive, multi-disciplinary, benchmarked player profiles which enable the optimal selection & development of players in this phase
To support the development of industry leading practices in player insight and intelligence by supporting and delivering key projects as part of the player insight strategy
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead the aggregation, analysis, presentation & maintenance of comprehensive player profiles for the youth development phase using information from all departments and external sources
- Support the process of defining the core characteristics and benchmarks of Winning England players at all levels
- Support the creation of robust and comprehensive rating systems, depth charts and other visualisations to provide up-to-date and insightful analysis of player status and key areas of emphasis
- Lead the efficient and purposeful coordination of video and live observations of players by Talent Reporters and National Coaches in alignment with the depth chart and key positions of emphasis for the YDP
- Be the key source of comprehensive player information in the YDP phase for coaches and provide the appropriate levels of challenge and support to ensure an excellent selection and ongoing development process
- Ensure the development and maintenance of appropriate technical skills in Talent Reporters and National Coaches to ensure the consistent, valid production of player reports and data from live and video observations.
- Contribute to the design and delivery of on-camp assessment processes to enable valid, consistent assessment of all player characteristics
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clubs, liaising with club-based peers to ensure a consistent exchange of key information on prospective and current players
- Support the definition, evolution and operational delivery of regular cross phase player reviews in order to select and benchmark current talent
- Support delivery of key internal projects and external research associations which support the further development of Player Insight services
- Support the development of appropriate technology projects to support player insight
- Develop close and trusted working relationships with Men’s national coaches and support staff to ensure a cohesive multi-disciplinary approach at all times, attending National Coaches meetings to exchange knowledge as required.
What we are looking for:
- Undergraduate degree in a related field of study or equivalent experience.
- Extensive experience in delivering talent related programmes in elite sport or demonstrate capability to deliver in elite sport from related experiences
- Significant experience in the development and delivery of comprehensive player profiles in elite sport or related fields
- Experience of running impactful practitioner development interventions (e.g. workshops, training programmes, mentoring), ideally for coaches or practitioners working in the Development age groups.
- FA Level 4 in Talent Management, Strategy and Leadership in Football, or the ability to achieve this within 18 months
- Knowledge of professional football & the demands of the modern game
- Highly credible academic and applied knowledge contemporary practice in talent identification or related fields
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Excellent relationship builder
- Excellent operational planning skills
- Good basic IT skills in order to use online platforms and basic video analysis
- Masters or doctorate in a related field of work or equivalent experience
- Experience delivering contemporary, multi-disciplinary talent or player identification programmes in professional football
- Technical video analysis and data presentation skills
What we can offer:
- An exciting and challenging role within a changing, dynamic and world-renowned sports organisation.
- Attractive benefits and a competitive salary for the right candidate.
The Football Association Group promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your covering letter
What We Do
The FA Group doesn't just govern and develop the game. We are also committed to improving our reputation for innovation and excellence by using the power of football to build a better future.What We Do
Search for a vacancy at The FA Group.Search for a Vacancy