Player Data Scientist Ref: PDS-18
- Role location
- St George's Park
- Type of contract
- Full Time
Player Data Scientist
Based at St George’s Park, Burton upon Trent
Closing Date: Midnight 25th June 2018
The Football Association (The FA) is the governing body of football in England. We are responsible for promoting and developing the game at all levels; from grass roots through to the professional game, The FA Cup and the England International teams, and has two core assets: Wembley Stadium and St George’s Park.
Win the World Cup’s in 2022 & 2023 and sustain success thereafter.
To deliver against this inspiring goal we are changing how we work and investing heavily to create a team of exceptional people capable of creating winning England teams at our world-class training facilities at St George’s Park in Staffordshire.
Overview of the role:
To create data driven insights through the development of an advanced data model across the Player Insight department to support the delivery of a world leading talent identification service to England teams
Key responsibilities include:
- Review and development of appropriate data sources and models to support player insight
- Analysis and visualisation of data sources using valid robust techniques
- Modelling of data to produce predictive maps of future trends
- Production of compelling insightful reports to assist in the tracking of prospective and established England players
- Development and presentation and internal research updates which effectively communicate data insights
- Contribute to the development of a comprehensive, robust and data driven England player profile which is linked to the success criteria for England teams
- Use data to benchmark English talent against contemporaries in other nations and assist in valid comparisons being made
- Development of metrics and KPI’s which enable the ongoing monitoring of key aspects of the talent identification process
- Close & highly effective working relationships with performance analysts, national coaches and support staff
- Support the delivery of key internal and external research projects which underpin future service development & provide insights to the talent identification process
- Support the process of defining the core characteristics and benchmarks of Winning England players at all levels
- Contribute to the design and delivery of on-camp assessment processes to enable valid, consistent assessment of all player characteristics
- Contribute to the development of technology projects to support the future direction of Player Insight
- Support the training of departmental staff in the analysis and understanding of data and visualisations
- Support the Head of Player Insight in the aggregation, analysis, presentation & maintenance of player profiles for senior professional development phase using information from all departments and external sources to include the creation of depth charts and other visualisations of player status
What we are looking for:
- Undergraduate degree in a related field of study or equivalent experience
- Ability to tailor machine learning solutions to business problems in a cross functional team.
- Strong programming skills (Python, R, SQL or similar languages).
- Extensive knowledge of statistical principles and modelling techniques.
- Experience in the use of multivariate statistical methods involving information theory and clustering/network-based community finding algorithms.
- A record in data analytics with focus on interpretability and visualisation.
- Advanced communication skills with the ability to communicate to various audiences.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Experience building visualisations using Tableau, Qlikview, Power Bi or similar systems.
- Experience of working with sports performance related data
- Good project management skills.
- Knowledge of data transfer and ingestion technologies
- Expertise with manipulating data to form unified data sets for analysis
- Excellent written presentation skills
- Good oral communications skills
- Postgraduate Qualification or Higher Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science (similar related disciplines will be considered) or equivalent experience.
- Experience working in an elite sporting environment
- Knowledge of football and the requirements of international football
What we can offer:
- An exciting and challenging role within a changing, dynamic and world-renowned sports organisation.
- Attractive benefits and a competitive salary for the right candidate.
The Football Association Group promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your covering letter
What We Do
The FA Group doesn't just govern and develop the game. We are also committed to improving our reputation for innovation and excellence by using the power of football to build a better future.What We Do
Search for a vacancy at The FA Group.Search for a Vacancy